At the end of the year, everyone’s counting something… businesspersons their profits, sportsmen their trophies, photographers their photos, musicians their songs, painters their paintings, and so on. Us literary persons must count the books we’ve read (for alas, counting the ones we wrote wouldn’t take too long).
This year I haven’t read that many paperbacks, being extremely engaged in my own literary compositions. But I’ve listened to plenty of audiobooks to compensate. Here’s a list of all the books I read this year, from the first to the last, with ratings too!
- ♔ = okay
- ♔♔ = good
- ♔♔♔ = great
- ☂ = Marvellous! I will read it again.
- The Practice of Tempera Painting – Daniel V. Thompson ♔
- Winter’s Tale – William Shakespeare ♔♔
- Materials and Techniques of Medieval Painting – Daniel V. Thompson ♔
- The Craftsman’s Handbook – Cennino Cennini ♔♔
- Life of Pi – Yann Martel ♔♔
- The Book Thief – Markus Zusak ♔♔♔
- Great Expectations – Charles Dickens ♔♔♔
- The Devil in the Flesh – Raymond Radiguet ♔♔
- Romeo and Juliet – William Shakespeare ♔♔
- One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (ninth time) ♔♔♔
- Much Ado About Nothing – William Shakespeare ♔♔♔
- The Witch, The Lion, and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis ♔♔
- The Little Prince (Abridged Audiobook) – Antoine de Saint Exupery ♔♔♔
- The Alchemist – Paolo Coelho ♔♔
- The Republic – Plato ♔♔
- Oxford VSI: Ancient Warfare ♔♔
- Oxford VSI: Philosophy ♔♔♔
- The Northern Lights/The Golden Compass – Phillip Pullman ♔♔
- Don Quixote – Miguel de Cervantes ☂
- Night – Elie Wisel ♔♔♔
- Siddhartha – Hermann Hesse ♔♔
- The Call of the Wild – Jack London ♔♔
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – Robert Louis Stephenson ♔♔
- Slaughterhouse-Five – Kurt Vonnegut ♔♔
- A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens (Abridged Audiobook) ♔♔
- Titus Andronicus – William Shakespeare ♔♔
- War of the Worlds – H.G. Wells ♔♔
- The Tempest – William Shakespeare ♔♔♔
- Cymbeline – William Shakespeare ♔♔
- Coriolanus – William Shakespeare ♔♔
- Richard III – William Shakespeare ♔♔
- The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald ♔♔
- Smoke and Mirrors – Neil Gaiman ♔♔
- After the Quake: Short Stories – Haruki Murakami ♔♔
- The Girl with a Pearl Earring – Tracy Chevalier ♔♔♔
- The Graveyard Book – Neil Gaiman ♔♔
- The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger ♔♔
- The Reader – Bernhard Schlink ♔♔
- The Stranger – Albert Camus ♔♔♔
- The Snows of Kilimanjaro – Ernest Hemingway ♔♔♔
- The Sorrows of Young Werther – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe ♔♔♔
- The Diary of Anne Frank – Anne Frank ♔♔♔
- Stardust – Neil Gaiman ♔♔
- The Subtle Knife – Phillip Pullman ♔♔
- Restoration – Rose Tremain ♔♔
- The Amber Spyglass – Phillip Pullman ♔♔
- Various Short Stories by Maupassant, Kafka, Hemingway, Chekhov, Borges, and Poe ♔♔♔
Check my reading list too!
How many books have you read this year?
28 thoughts on “How Many Books Have You Read This Year?”
I’ve actually read 30 books! Not that much huh ?
A fair number I would say. 🙂
😉 much of them were to be read for litterature class or english class :p
I’ve read 31 books this year (32, in a few hours).. The list is here.. https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/630934.. Cheers to a good year gone past and hope for a grand one next!
Cheers to you!
My goal was to read 50 books this year….sadly, I’ve only read 15. Going to set that goal again for 2014 and I’m going to include some of the books on your list 🙂
Loved The Girl with a Pearl Earring. Loved Life of Pi. You read quite a bit. My writing really cut into my reading time this year. Such a dilemma!
My original goal was to read 25 books this year because I’m a slow reader. But I was shocked when I ended up reading 91 books this year. This last January to August, I just read 15 books, I think. Then I started to pick up the pace this last September.
I hope I can continue reading more next year. And I think I’ll be reading some from your list. Thank you! 😀
I tip my hat to you!
I’ve read about 150 this year. Most of them not as highbrow as yours. I have read about 15 on your list in the past. Life of Pi is a big favorite. And I love Murakami. My favorite of the year was Cormac McCarthy’s The Road.
A book every two or three days? Applauds.
I’ve read 34 books this year. For some reason, Goodreads has my count at 35. I think they’re counting one I haven’t finished, yet.
I’m gonna finish the year with 46, so not too bad.
Next year I want to double that
Great article, thanks for sharing!
I tip my hat to you! 🙂
Well 1stly congratz on reading that much. And remembering all the titles. Now that I think of it I’m not even sure, especially since I read a lot during the summer…
I read about 12 books I think? But they were pretty long I guess. Allegiant by Veronica Roth, Ender’s Game Trilogy, Assassin’s Apprentice, Hunger Games Trilogy, Lord of the Flies… Off the top of my head xD Reading Life of Pi atm but pretty lazy.
Noting down the books you read gives you a sense of achievement. And helps you remember them too. 🙂
I was very bad with reading this year. My goal was one book a month as I had final year of college and two jobs to contend with. I read none until halfway through July and then got going. My total was 16.
That’s a fair number for an Irish girl with so many things going on. 🙂
I’ve read 19 novels and 2 memoirs, whilst writing a novel of my own but making sure my reading material bears no relation to the type of story I’m writing so I can keep the two activities separate.
What a wonderfully enriching list of books you’ve listened to. I’m reading Neil Gaiman’s “American Gods” at the moment. He’s a most unique writer. I loved Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy and read the three books one after another, as if it was one big book. It took me a month!
I must have read a few but really can’t recall how many…approximate guess is 15-20 though would have liked to read more. But with a part-time job, writing my blog and being a full time mother to an active toddler, it was the best I could do. Will def try to increase the count this year!!!
I give “The Witch, The Lion, and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis” ♔♔♔☂☂☂☂because C.S. Lewis is my favorite author. I did not keep count of the books i have read but that I will do for 2014
Nice! I like much several titles you read last year! But what I like even more, is the crown & umbrellas! Now that’s marvelous! 🙂
I bet your umbrella is most fancy. 🙂 Leopard print? 😛
No, it’s just navy blue…
Ask me at the end of 2014 😛